[alsa-devel] PowerMac 11,2 topaz digital-in

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Mon May 22 10:12:26 CEST 2017

Hi,

On May 22, 2017, at 8:15, Johannes Berg <johannes at sipsolutions.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I noticed digital input would not show up at all on my PowerMac G5
>> 11,2, I see this in dmesg:
>>
>> [   15.719952] snd-aoa-fabric-layout: Using PMF GPIOs
>> [   15.720519] snd-aoa-fabric-layout: can use this codec
>> [   15.760567] snd-aoa-codec-onyx: attached to onyx codec via i2c
>> [   15.760745] snd-aoa-fabric-layout: platform-onyx-codec-ref doesn't
>> match!
>> [   15.760748] snd-aoa: fabric didn't like codec onyx
>>
>> and poking around a bit more I found a “topaz” codec apparently some
>> Crystal Semiconductor CS84xx “Topaz” (S/PDIF digital input) showing
>> up nowhere in the ALSA sources.
>>
>> Am I overlooking something, or was this lost in merging? Any hint
>> would be appreciated.
>
> Neither, it was simply never implemented.
>
> I believe that in the past ~11 years since this got merged I *still*
> haven't gotten any other hardware that had optical output, so I don't
> think I could possibly test it :)
>
> Also, it's not as simple as output because there has to be clock
> recovery etc. and I never could understand how alsa would handle that.
>
> Anyway, that's all I remember. I still have the G5 powermac, but it's
> never powered on any more (I used to still use it for big endian
> testing, but our latest HW generation makes the PCI-E bus in the system
> unhappy enough that it won't even boot).

Ouhm, a pity. Guess that it took ~11 years for someone to notice
is an indicator of the percentage of users using the digital in ;-)

You could plug a cable from the output to the input for testing, no?

As I’m not familiar with the ALSA driver I guess I would rather spend
a whole month or so trying to copy and paste something together, …

	René

--
 ExactCODE GmbH, Lietzenburger Str. 42, DE-10789 Berlin
 DE Legal: Amtsgericht Berlin (Charlottenburg) HRB 105123B, Tax-ID#: DE251602478