[alsa-devel] PowerMac 11,2 topaz digital-in

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Mon May 22 08:15:18 CEST 2017

Hi,

> I noticed digital input would not show up at all on my PowerMac G5
> 11,2, I see this in dmesg:
>
> [   15.719952] snd-aoa-fabric-layout: Using PMF GPIOs
> [   15.720519] snd-aoa-fabric-layout: can use this codec
> [   15.760567] snd-aoa-codec-onyx: attached to onyx codec via i2c
> [   15.760745] snd-aoa-fabric-layout: platform-onyx-codec-ref doesn't
> match!
> [   15.760748] snd-aoa: fabric didn't like codec onyx
>
> and poking around a bit more I found a “topaz” codec apparently some
> Crystal Semiconductor CS84xx “Topaz” (S/PDIF digital input) showing
> up nowhere in the ALSA sources.
>
> Am I overlooking something, or was this lost in merging? Any hint
> would be appreciated.

Neither, it was simply never implemented.

I believe that in the past ~11 years since this got merged I *still*
haven't gotten any other hardware that had optical output, so I don't
think I could possibly test it :)

Also, it's not as simple as output because there has to be clock
recovery etc. and I never could understand how alsa would handle that.

Anyway, that's all I remember. I still have the G5 powermac, but it's
never powered on any more (I used to still use it for big endian
testing, but our latest HW generation makes the PCI-E bus in the system
unhappy enough that it won't even boot).

johannes