[alsa-devel] Slow/piecewise send of sysex?

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Jul 12 11:17:44 CEST 2017

Ville Oikarinen wrote:
> I'm using amidi --send-hex to send data to a Commodore 64 via a CLab
> MIDI interface. The problem is that even with 100 bytes the
> probability of a buffer overrun is about 30%. I didn't find a way to
> throttle the send speed.

.syx files do not contain timing information.

In alsa-utils 1.1.3 or later, amidi has an option to insert a delay
between F0...F7 messages.

But if your MIDI devices does not handle MIDI speeds at all, you have
to put the SysEx data into a .mid file with the proper delays.

> I would like to be able to send the data a few bytes at a
> time in a simple shell loop.

Binay data in the shell is not easy.  Why not write a tool in some
other language?

Regards,
Clemens