[alsa-devel] Slow/piecewise send of sysex?

Ville Oikarinen ville at oikarinen.org
Wed Jul 12 08:49:24 CEST 2017

Hello.

I just created this question as a ticket
https://github.com/opensrc/alsa/issues/24 but was instructed to ask
here.

So:

I'm using amidi --send-hex to send data to a Commodore 64 via a CLab
MIDI interface. The problem is that even with 100 bytes the
probability of a buffer overrun is about 30%. I didn't find a way to
throttle the send speed. I also tried sending the data in smaller
chunks, but I cannot get amidi to send anything after the first chunk.
I suspect it refuses to send anything if the data doesn't start with
F0 i.e. sysex dump start.

If I am right about that assumption, as a workaround I could
encapsulate each chunk as a full sysex dump, but that requires extra
logic on the receiving side and it also wastes bandwidth, so I don't
really wish to do that.

Primarily I would prefer a way to throttle the speed, but if I cannot
have that, I would like to be able to send the data a few bytes at a
time in a simple shell loop.

- Ville Oikarinen