[alsa-devel] Slow/piecewise send of sysex?

Ville Oikarinen ville at oikarinen.org
Wed Jul 12 11:39:46 CEST 2017

On 12 July 2017 at 12:17, Clemens Ladisch <clemens at ladisch.de> wrote:
> .syx files do not contain timing information.

Yes, I know this of course.

> In alsa-utils 1.1.3 or later, amidi has an option to insert a delay
> between F0...F7 messages.

So it seems: the -i option, exactly what I need. Thank you, I just
need to upgrade, since I'm now running 1.1.2. :)

> But if your MIDI devices does not handle MIDI speeds at all, you have
> to put the SysEx data into a .mid file with the proper delays.

Yes, I have considered that as a backup plan, but it's just so much
easier to send raw data.

> Binay data in the shell is not easy.  Why not write a tool in some
> other language?

I am using other languages. But I am invoking amidi from shell.

- Ville Oikarinen