[alsa-devel] Internal speaker output from Sony Vaio Z (2010 model) lost somewhere between 3.1.0 and 3.2.6

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Jul 28 00:55:41 CEST 2012

On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 09:58 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Thu, 26 Jul 2012 22:26:42 -0700,
> Adam Williamson wrote:

> > > OK, then try the following two patches.
> > > The first one is to make the speaker-pin as the primary output like
> > > the earlier kernel (3.1.x), and the second one is to add the COEF
> > > setup for ALC889.  Check each of them alone gives any difference.
> >
> > First patch on its own - alc-no-primary-hp-out.diff - fixes the bug.
> > Output through the speakers works. I also tested that it doesn't do
> > anything bad to the speaker/headphone output: plugging in headphones
> > routes the output through that socket automatically, no need to change
> > any PA setting, and unplugging the headphones sends it back through the
> > internal speakers again. The internal mic works fine in all cases. So
> > with just the first patch, everything works correctly as far as I can
> > test (I don't have an external mic to check).
> OK, then it becomes interesting.
> It seems that the hardware has some hard-coded pin assignment and
> doesn't allow to use the different route.
> Could you verify that the following patch works?  Drop the previous
> patches when you apply this.

OK, a re-diffed version of that patch against 3.5 works. (For the
record, it looks like it's against a newer version of the file than is
included in 3.5, and also it seems to have spaces in place of tabs - not
sure if that's a problem on your end or on mine). So that looks good to
me, assuming none of the stuff on the Launchpad bug is a roadblock.
Thanks! One small nit: it's just the 'Vaio Z', not 'Vaio TT Z'. 'Vaio
TT' is a separate (rather older) system; there's no such thing as a 'TT
Z', to my knowledge. You might want to say 'some Vaio Zs', or something
like that, since there have been several generations of the Z, some of
which this won't apply to...
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey