[alsa-devel] Internal speaker output from Sony Vaio Z (2010 model) lost somewhere between 3.1.0 and 3.2.6
tiwai at suse.de
Sun Jul 29 10:09:29 CEST 2012
At Fri, 27 Jul 2012 15:55:41 -0700,
Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 09:58 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Thu, 26 Jul 2012 22:26:42 -0700,
> > Adam Williamson wrote:
> > >
> > > On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 07:47 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > >
> > > > > I don't know if tiwai's later suggestion to try the sound.git tree is
> > > > > still relevant, since I expect all of the stuff there that was 'new'
> > > > > back in March has been merged into later kernels since, and it's still
> > > > > broken. But if so, send me the word and I'll try it.
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks! I promise to reply more promptly for the next few weeks at
> > > > > least.
> > > >
> > > > OK, then try the following two patches.
> > > > The first one is to make the speaker-pin as the primary output like
> > > > the earlier kernel (3.1.x), and the second one is to add the COEF
> > > > setup for ALC889. Check each of them alone gives any difference.
> > >
> > > First patch on its own - alc-no-primary-hp-out.diff - fixes the bug.
> > > Output through the speakers works. I also tested that it doesn't do
> > > anything bad to the speaker/headphone output: plugging in headphones
> > > routes the output through that socket automatically, no need to change
> > > any PA setting, and unplugging the headphones sends it back through the
> > > internal speakers again. The internal mic works fine in all cases. So
> > > with just the first patch, everything works correctly as far as I can
> > > test (I don't have an external mic to check).
> > OK, then it becomes interesting.
> > It seems that the hardware has some hard-coded pin assignment and
> > doesn't allow to use the different route.
> > Could you verify that the following patch works? Drop the previous
> > patches when you apply this.
> OK, a re-diffed version of that patch against 3.5 works. (For the
> record, it looks like it's against a newer version of the file than is
> included in 3.5, and also it seems to have spaces in place of tabs - not
> sure if that's a problem on your end or on mine). So that looks good to
> me, assuming none of the stuff on the Launchpad bug is a roadblock.
> Thanks! One small nit: it's just the 'Vaio Z', not 'Vaio TT Z'. 'Vaio
> TT' is a separate (rather older) system; there's no such thing as a 'TT
> Z', to my knowledge. You might want to say 'some Vaio Zs', or something
> like that, since there have been several generations of the Z, some of
> which this won't apply to...
OK, I fixed the comment and applied the patch now to sound git tree.
More information about the Alsa-devel