[alsa-devel] Internal speaker output from Sony Vaio Z (2010 model) lost somewhere between 3.1.0 and 3.2.6

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 20:32:51 CEST 2012

> On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 09:58 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > > First patch on its own - alc-no-primary-hp-out.diff - fixes the bug.
> > > Output through the speakers works. I also tested that it doesn't do
> > > anything bad to the speaker/headphone output: plugging in headphones
> > > routes the output through that socket automatically, no need to change
> > > any PA setting, and unplugging the headphones sends it back through the
> > > internal speakers again. The internal mic works fine in all cases. So
> > > with just the first patch, everything works correctly as far as I can
> > > test (I don't have an external mic to check).
> >
> > OK, then it becomes interesting.
> > It seems that the hardware has some hard-coded pin assignment and
> > doesn't allow to use the different route.
> >
> > Could you verify that the following patch works?  Drop the previous
> > patches when you apply this.
>
> The patch fails utterly to apply against 3.5 - 6 out of 6 hunks failed.
> What's it against? 3.4? Fedora went to 3.5 yesterday...I guess I can
> re-diff.

Oh, I just noticed, there's a Launchpad report for the same/very similar
bug here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/960124

which has some discussion that may be interesting (apparently the extra
mic pin exists because the 'headphone' output can actually handle
headsets, or something). This bug seems possibly to be discussing a
newer model of the Z (Z13), but it certainly looks very similar.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey