[alsa-devel] A debug version of the ALSA lib?

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 18:49:21 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Olivier Guillion - Myriad
<olivier at myriad-online.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Daniel Mack <zonque at gmail.com> wrote :
>> > Is it possible for instance to install libasound-dbg on Ubuntu 11.04?
>>
>> That should be possible, yes. Or just build the library yourself and
>> redirect your linker to take the self-compiled library rather than the
>> system-wide instance.
>
> Thank you very much for your answer. Would you be kind enough to tell me how to
> build this debug version?
> Is it possible through configure / make, or does it need modifying the
> generated makefiles by hand?

call

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-debug && make

This should do the installation - depending on your prefix location,
you might to run this as root:

$ make install

Then let your LD_LIBRARY_PATH point to your modified lib and read
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html for
more information.
Or just use the binary Ubuntu packages and be done.

> I understand perfectly. If it's not due to a problem in my project's option or
> my ALSA settings, then it's definitely a bug either in the ALSA code, or in the
> Firefox plugin management. As soon as I can follow the calls with a debugger,
> I'll be able to answer this question that bothers me for one full week now .

I'd rather put it that way: If it was a bug in the alsa lib that is so
easy to trigger, you wouldn't be the first one to discover it :)

Daniel