[alsa-devel] issue with AD1989A HDA codec and alsamixer

Vincent Meserette vmeserette at aldebaran-robotics.com
Wed Feb 2 20:22:43 CET 2011

Hi Raymond,

Many thanks for your answer.

Looking the AD1989A datasheet (which can be found here :
http://www.conexant.com/products/entry.jsp?id=599) the vendor id of the
codec seems to be 11D4989A
So, I think the codec taken into account in the "patch_analog.c" file is
well the AD1989A because I found these lines in the source code :

/*
 * patch entries
 */
static struct hda_codec_preset snd_hda_preset_analog[] = {
    { .id = 0x11d4989a, .name = "AD1989A", .patch = patch_ad1988 },
    {} /* terminator */
};

Concerning the digital microphone input of the codec, I don't use it. I have
four electret microphones connected to the B and C ports of the codec (one
on the PORT-B_L pin, one on the PORT-B_R pin, one on the PORT-C_L pin and
one on the PORT-C_R pin). I have connected by software configuration the
port B to the ADC1 and the port C to the ADC0.
Maybe my problem comes from here, because I don't use the codec in a
standard configuration ?
if it is the case, do you know how can i resolve it ?
Do you also know which registers control the three capture gains of the
alsamixerl (i thought it was the gains of the ADC0, ADC1 and ADC2 )?

Many thanks

Kind regards

Vincent

-------- acoustic / audio engineer ---------