[alsa-devel] snd_device_name_hint problems

David Henningsson launchpad.web at epost.diwic.se
Sat Sep 12 09:23:28 CEST 2009

Raymond Yau skrev:
> It seem to me that name hint is not suitable for displaying recording
> devices

But what should I then use? snd_card_xxx will not show the pulse device,
snd_names_list is deprecated, and snd_config_xxx is not recommended either.

> You can get low latency by using hw device since PA use maximum buffer in
> order to save power comsumption for those notebook / netbook.
>
> If your application require high quality (bypass any SRC) , you may need to
> capture using hardware rate and format instead of using plughw

I will not need low latency for this application, but avoiding SRC would
probably be a good thing. But I assume the plug handling does not do any
SRC if it can avoid it by adjusting the hardware?

> For HDA , it support multiple streamming. some  HDA codecs (e.g. alc88x and
> ad198x) have 3 ADC ( which you can capture three stereo streams concurrently
> from internal mic, external mic and line in )
>
> The main problem of the recording audio application is unable to select the
> correct mixer control of the three capture sources

What I would like would my enumeration function to return in this case
would be four entries, one for each ADC and one for them all combined (6
channels, multi-channel recording).

// David