[alsa-devel] snd_device_name_hint problems

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 11:31:11 CEST 2009

The name hint does not define any device for recording

if you run alsa-lib/test/namehint.c , you should notice that front device is
used for "Front Speakers".

Most likely you cannot use this "front" device for recording

The "pulse" device is in the list since I am using Fedora 10

 ./namehint
NAMEfront:CARD=au8830,DEV=0|DESCAureal Vortex au8830, adb
Front speakers
NAMEsurround40:CARD=au8830,DEV=0|DESCAureal Vortex au8830, adb
NAMEiec958:CARD=au8830,DEV=0|DESCAureal Vortex au8830, spdif
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output|IOIDOutput
NAMEnull|DESCDiscard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples
(capture)
NAMEpulse|DESCPulseAudio Sound Server
NAMEdefault|DESCDefault
NAMEfront:CARD=Intel,DEV=0|DESCHDA Intel, AD198x Analog
Front speakers
NAMEsurround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0|DESCHDA Intel, AD198x Analog
NAMEsurround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0|DESCHDA Intel, AD198x Analog
NAMEsurround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0|DESCHDA Intel, AD198x Analog
NAMEsurround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0|DESCHDA Intel, AD198x Analog
NAMEsurround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0|DESCHDA Intel, AD198x Analog
NAMEiec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0|DESCHDA Intel, AD198x Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

arecord --list-device
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****

card 1: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
  Subdevices: 3/3
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
card 1: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0