[alsa-devel] snd_device_name_hint problems

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 06:09:42 CEST 2009

It seem to me that name hint is not suitable for displaying recording
devices

It's other rare for an user to recording from the same source by more than
one applications.

You can get low latency by using hw device since PA use maximum buffer in
order to save power comsumption for those notebook / netbook.

If your application require high quality (bypass any SRC) , you may need to
capture using hardware rate and format instead of using plughw

For the surround51 in the movie , the LFE is generated in the studio instead
of recording in real life

In the past , AC97 codec has only one ADC , you can select one capture
source only.
so most of the sound card using AC97 codec can capture stereo only

The other high end sound card (e.g. ice1712) can only capture in 12 channels

For HDA , it support multiple streamming. some  HDA codecs (e.g. alc88x and
ad198x) have 3 ADC ( which you can capture three stereo streams concurrently
from internal mic, external mic and line in )

The main problem of the recording audio application is unable to select the
correct mixer control of the three capture sources