[alsa-devel] What is a name for the PC speaker input/output volume control?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Nov 11 15:18:10 CET 2009

At Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:12:58 +0100,
Krzysztof Helt wrote:
> Hi Takashi,
> I have run into the issue that OSS emulation layer provides less controls
> than the alsa mixer. One specific problem is the OSS Speaker control
> is not properly mapped on all drivers (among others the wss/cs4236 family)
> due to the fact that the speaker input/output is called "Mono" in this driver.

What is exactly the problem?  "Mono" can be mapped to PHONEOUT, at least.

> I have found that there are at least three names are used by drivers:
> "PC Speaker"
> "Speaker"
> "Mono"
> for the same input/output pair (At least on the ISA cards there is only single
> purpose mono channel - to route the PC speaker). 
> Which name should be used? I will convert all ISA drivers to the selected 
> name (and fix the OSS mixer to map this name to the "Speaker" control).

"PC Speaker" is now obsoleted as "Beep".  So, obviously this doesn't
correspond to your case.

"Speaker" is a preferred name for the internal speaker.


More information about the Alsa-devel mailing list