[alsa-devel] What is a name for the PC speaker input/output volume control?

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Wed Nov 11 15:18:35 CET 2009

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009, Krzysztof Helt wrote:

> Hi Takashi,
> I have run into the issue that OSS emulation layer provides less controls
> than the alsa mixer. One specific problem is the OSS Speaker control
> is not properly mapped on all drivers (among others the wss/cs4236 family)
> due to the fact that the speaker input/output is called "Mono" in this driver.
> I have found that there are at least three names are used by drivers:
> "PC Speaker"
> "Speaker"
> "Mono"
> for the same input/output pair (At least on the ISA cards there is only single
> purpose mono channel - to route the PC speaker).
> Which name should be used? I will convert all ISA drivers to the selected
> name (and fix the OSS mixer to map this name to the "Speaker" control).

I proposed and changed all "Speaker" and "PC Speaker" names to "Beep" in 
recent ALSA code. The OSS emulation layer is updated as well.


Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project, Red Hat, Inc.

More information about the Alsa-devel mailing list