[alsa-devel] snd_pcm_hw_params_get_period_size points to __old_ symbol

Liam Girdwood lrg at kernel.org
Sun Feb 22 23:15:56 CET 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-22 at 22:35 +0100, Daniel Mack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With alsa-lib and alsa-utils cross-compiled for ARM by
> buildroot (currently version 1.0.19, but earlier versions
> seem to be equally affected), I encounter the effect that
> snd_pcm_hw_params_get_period_size() does not write the expected
> value to the given snd_pcm_uframes_t pointer. In fact, this
> variable is not written at all. This makes aplay calculate 0
> for chunk_bytes in set_params() and then exit with the bogus error
> message "Not enough memory". I did some tracing and found out that
> the function called for snd_pcm_hw_params_get_period_size() is in
> fact __old_snd_pcm_hw_params_get_period_size() which has a different
> footprint and hence the pointer given to it is leaved untouched.
>
> As I don't fully understand all the system behind the symbol names
> remapping, I'm stuck here. Can anybody reproduce this bug?

AFAICT, buildroot builds a broken ALSA ARM userspace. I've had driver
bug reports from numerous users for about 2 years now due to buildoot
building a faulty ARM ALSA userspace. I've also asked each bug reporter
to report this to buildroot bugzilla. Seems it's not fixed yet.

Please either build alsa-lib natively or with OpenEmbedded.

Liam