[alsa-devel] Applying Herton supplied patches ...

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Feb 14 23:37:39 CET 2009

'Twas brillig, and Guy Stalnaker at 14/02/09 22:08 did gyre and gimble:
> herton or Takashi,
>
> How does one go about applying a patch like the ones attached to Message
> 6?  And to which files are they applied?  I assume they are meant for
> the alsa-driver code, but that's as much as I know (well, I know how to
> run ./configure, make, and make sudo :).  I'd very much like to see if
> the patches work for my HP dv4 1225.

Generally these would be applied via git-am into a local git clone of
the sources.

As many of these patches will be to the driver this means applying the
patches to your kernel and recompiling. It's a quite involved process
and not really for the faint hearted.

If you really want to test them out, the easiest way would be to install
Mandriva Cooker (the development version of Mandriva) and the latest
kernel package. I'm not sure if these patches are in the latest cooker
kernel yet but Herton is part of the kernel team and the patches will no
doubt show up soon if they are not there already.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie