[alsa-devel] Maya44 revised patch - vu meters

Pavel Hofman pavel.hofman at insite.cz
Thu Feb 14 09:25:58 CET 2008

Hi,

The vu-meters in alsamixer are not changing, because alsamixer does not
  refresh regularly their values. They reflect status of ice1724
vu-meters at the moment of alsamixer start.

I have already raised the issue and I got a fair answer - alsamixer is a
console mixer and should thus consume as little network bandwidth as
possible.

Since the meaning of these read-only controls is clear only upon
detailed study of the driver and Envy24 datasheet plus I encounter a lot
of questins/complaints about them, I suggest to change their type from
MIXER to PCM. They would still be readily accessible from amixer or API.

Here is my little vu-meter script I use for testing ice1724 cards:

while true; do amixer cget name="Multi Track Peak" | grep ": values";
sleep 0.5; done

Thanks for considering this minor change which would simplify life of a
lot of users/admins.

Regards,

Pavel Hofman.

Rainer Zimmermann wrote:

> This is the revised version of the ESI Maya44 patch.
> changes are mainly coding style, some cleanups and using a patch file
> for ice1724.c .
>
> The added code now (mostly) passes checkpatch.pl, except for some "#if
> 0"'s which I'd leave in for the development phase.
>
> Also, I changed the rate setting logic, which (for now) allows all rates
> up to 192kHz even for capturing. As capturing actually only supports 96
> kHz, while capturing & playback rates are linked, this is not really ok.
> I'd appreciate suggestions about how this could be handled properly,
> while still supporting playback up to 192 kHz...
>

> Again, feedback & testing is appreciated.
>
> For more information, see doc/README.maya44 .
>

> -Rainer

inSITE, s.r.o.

Rubesova 29, 326 00 Plzen
Tel., fax: +420 - 37 - 74 493 58