[alsa-devel] underruns and strange code in pcm_rate.c

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Feb 1 16:07:22 CET 2008

At Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:46:25 -0600,
Timur Tabi wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > The bug report on BTS isn't more effectively handled than on ML...
>
> True, but at least I have a URL I can point to.  That's handy.

An ML archive has also a URL :)
An advantage of ML is that it can involve developers more easily.

> > I don't know whether you tested what Clemens suggested.
>
> If you mean disabling CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS, then yes, doing so does "fix"
> the problem.  That is, I don't get any more underruns, but then the application
> is forced to do sample rate conversion.

OK, now the question is in which condition this happens...

> > If it's
> > really a rate converter issue, then it should be possible to reproduce
> > with other systems.  First, we need to find out how to reproduce the
> > bug with other drivers such as snd-dummy.
>
> It happens on my 8610 driver.

Could you rewrite snd-dummy driver to behave like your driver?
As mentionted, it's important to get the environment to reproduce the
problem reliably independent on hardwares.

thanks,