[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] Jetway j7f2 via82xx volume problem: sound suddenly stops when increasing volume: "SOLVED" (well ... sort of)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Apr 29 14:53:32 CEST 2008

At Mon, 28 Apr 2008 23:39:04 +0200,
Zoilo Gomez wrote:

> (Sorry for cross-posting from alsa-user; however, on 2nd thought I think
> this really belongs in alsa-devel):
>
> ===
>
> I think I have found what is causing this problem: in ac97_patch.c / int
> patch_vt1617a(...)  there is a line of code:

> According to a comment, this code is supposed to "bring the analog power
> consumption to normal, like WinXP driver for EPIA SP".
>
> If I comment out this line, the problem appears to be solved ... I can
> now put all volume controls to maximum values and the sound will keep
> playing.

Appreciated that you hunted it out.
Added Cc to the patch author.

> This is consistent with the apparent introduction of this bug in kernel
> 2.6.19 (includes alsa-driver version 1.0.12rc1): no such problem
> occurred until 2.6.18, but all kernels since 2.6.19 do suffer from this
> problem. The line of code above first shows up in linux-2.6.19.
>
> Unfortunately, since I do not have a datasheet for the VT1617A chip set,
> I cannot verify the exact semantics, or suggest an improvement.
>
> Can anyone with a datasheet please suggest a proper patch to this line
> of code?

The register 0x5c is the VIA specific one.  I have a VT1617 (without
A) datasheet, and it suggests that the bit corresponds to the
"headphone amplifier temperature sensing control".  And setting this
bit means to _disable_ the temperature sensing control.  This sounds
rather the correct to set.

However, I don't know whether any difference exists betweeen VIA1617
and 1617A although the codec id of both are identical.

Andrey, any comments about your patch?

In anyway, it'd be helpful if we can know which ac97 registers work
and wich not.  Please take /proc/asound/card0/codec97#*/ac97#*-regs
file in both working and non-working cases to compare.  Especially,
the registers 0x5a and 0x5c look interesting.

Thanks,

Takashi