[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] Jetway j7f2 via82xx volume problem: sound suddenly stops when increasing volume: "SOLVED" (well ... sort of)

Zoilo Gomez zoilo at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 29 15:25:57 CEST 2008

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 28 Apr 2008 23:39:04 +0200,
> Zoilo Gomez wrote:
>
>> (Sorry for cross-posting from alsa-user; however, on 2nd thought I think
>> this really belongs in alsa-devel):
>>
>> ===
>>
>> I think I have found what is causing this problem: in ac97_patch.c / int
>> patch_vt1617a(...)  there is a line of code:

>> According to a comment, this code is supposed to "bring the analog power
>> consumption to normal, like WinXP driver for EPIA SP".
>>
>> If I comment out this line, the problem appears to be solved ... I can
>> now put all volume controls to maximum values and the sound will keep
>> playing.
>>

> Appreciated that you hunted it out.
> Added Cc to the patch author.

Thank you for your response, Takashi!

>> This is consistent with the apparent introduction of this bug in kernel
>> 2.6.19 (includes alsa-driver version 1.0.12rc1): no such problem
>> occurred until 2.6.18, but all kernels since 2.6.19 do suffer from this
>> problem. The line of code above first shows up in linux-2.6.19.
>>
>> Unfortunately, since I do not have a datasheet for the VT1617A chip set,
>> I cannot verify the exact semantics, or suggest an improvement.
>>
>> Can anyone with a datasheet please suggest a proper patch to this line
>> of code?
>>

> The register 0x5c is the VIA specific one.  I have a VT1617 (without
> A) datasheet, and it suggests that the bit corresponds to the
> "headphone amplifier temperature sensing control".  And setting this
> bit means to _disable_ the temperature sensing control.  This sounds
> rather the correct to set.
>
> However, I don't know whether any difference exists betweeen VIA1617
> and 1617A although the codec id of both are identical.
>
> Andrey, any comments about your patch?
>

> In anyway, it'd be helpful if we can know which ac97 registers work
> and wich not.  Please take /proc/asound/card0/codec97#*/ac97#*-regs
> file in both working and non-working cases to compare.  Especially,
> the registers 0x5a and 0x5c look interesting.

Code containing "snd_ac97_write_cache(a97, 0x5c, 0x20)":
0x5a = 8300
0x5c = 0000

Code with "snd_ac97_write_cache(a97, 0x5c, 0x20)" commented out:
0x5a = 8301
0x5c = 0020

Quite a surprise to me, I would have expected exactly the opposite .....!?

Can you explain this? /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0+regs does
dump current registers, correct? Or is it a toggling bit?

Thank you,

Zoilo.