[alsa-devel] [Alsa-user] Jetway j7f2 via82xx volume problem: sound suddenly stops when increasing volume: "SOLVED" (well ... sort of)

Zoilo Gomez zoilo at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 28 23:39:04 CEST 2008

(Sorry for cross-posting from alsa-user; however, on 2nd thought I think
this really belongs in alsa-devel):

===

I think I have found what is causing this problem: in ac97_patch.c / int
patch_vt1617a(...)  there is a line of code:

>>> snd_ac97_write_cache(a97, 0x5c, 0x20);

According to a comment, this code is supposed to "bring the analog power
consumption to normal, like WinXP driver for EPIA SP".

If I comment out this line, the problem appears to be solved ... I can
now put all volume controls to maximum values and the sound will keep
playing.

This is consistent with the apparent introduction of this bug in kernel
2.6.19 (includes alsa-driver version 1.0.12rc1): no such problem
occurred until 2.6.18, but all kernels since 2.6.19 do suffer from this
problem. The line of code above first shows up in linux-2.6.19.

Unfortunately, since I do not have a datasheet for the VT1617A chip set,
I cannot verify the exact semantics, or suggest an improvement.

Can anyone with a datasheet please suggest a proper patch to this line
of code?

TIA,

Z.

======