[alsa-devel] rate plugin issue

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Nov 19 12:09:58 CET 2007

At Sat, 17 Nov 2007 17:59:53 +0300,
Stas Sergeev wrote:

> > And above all, the fix would be really easy like the patch below.
> Your patch works very well.
> Actually, much better than mine, for
> the reasons I can't explain (there is
> probably another similar loop somewhere,
> otherwise they would work in the similar
> way).
> Just a few questions:
> 1. Do you want to "round" avail_min only
> when it is < period_size, or maybe you
> want something like this instead:
> ---
> avail_min += period_size - 1;
> avail_min -= avail_min % period_size;
> ---
> so that it is always rounded up?

A good question.  I'm a kind of conservative about that.
avail_min itself doesn't guarantee the timing accuracy, so it's no
driver/system problem even if the app is woken up slightly after the
exact time.

But it's very unlikely that this round-up would break anything,
though.

> 2. What is it really good for? Why would
> the one want avail_min != period_size?
> Now, after you disallow avail_min<period_size,
> it makes even less sense - why would
> someone set avail_min>period_size, instead
> of increasing the period_size itself?
> So maybe something like this is also
> possible:
> ---
> /* there seem to be no reason to set avail_min,
>  * period_size is enough */
> avail_min = period_size;
> ---

Changing period_size isn't allowed arbitrarilly because it's a
hardware constraint.  OTOH, avail_min is the software parameter.
So avail_min > period_size makes sense in some cases.
In my patch I disallowed the case avail_min < period_size because it
doesn't work *practically*.

> > Then which version of mpg123 with which configuration?
> But I am not sure if you tried _any_
> mpg123 with any configuration. :)

Well, one of my versions on my machine has even no ALSA support.

thanks,