[alsa-devel] Will the real alsa wiki please stand up?

j t mark473 at gmail.com
Sat May 26 13:16:02 CEST 2007

On 5/26/07, Ingo Müller <alsa at ingomueller.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> If you had read carefully what the main page of alsa.opensrc.org sais,
> you'd know that this is an unofficial wiki.

Oops - my bad. Sorry...

> The story of the other wiki
> is bit harder to find, but if you want, you can read it at
>
> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2007-April/000412.html
>
> The basic of the story is, that it has been created maybe two months ago
> by official ALSA developpers to replace the official ALSA web site,
> which was difficult to maintain and to keep up to date. The thing is,
> that only a few people seem to care that much that they would help to
> transfer content from the web site to the new wiki (thanks a lot to
> those who do care!). Feel free to contribute :-)

I will, just as soon as I work out which of the two wikis I should be
contributing to...

> Anyway, I totally agree with you that having one single wiki would be a
> lot better for everybody. Again, the problem is, that the merging has to
> be done by someone and this means work.

I could be wrong (that's my normal disclaimer out of the way), but
surely the effort of merging would seem to be futile if the majority
of edits subsequently go to the "wrong" wiki (I'm talking here from a
practical viewpoint).

Does anyone know if the people who maintain the "unofficial" wiki
would be offended/"put up resistance"/disagree if their wiki were
"superceded"? If no, a note could be added to the unofficial about the
new "official" one (it's interesting to note that the unofficial wiki
doesn't mention the official one at all, although that could just be a
lack of resources, rather than something intentional).

I hope that at least some of this makes sense...

Jaime