[alsa-devel] Install of alsa 1.0.14.final on Fedora 7

stan stanl at cox.net
Sun Jul 15 00:41:21 CEST 2007

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 08:15:37 -0700
tdavis at dsl-only.net wrote:

> Quoting stan <stanl at cox.net>:
>
> > On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 00:09:31 -0700
> > tdavis at dsl-only.net wrote:

> >> I'll have to look at the rpm build process to see why they are
> >> named RH7 instead of FC7.  To install, you should just type
> >> "audio_install".
> >>
> >> If there is a conflict, just type "rpm -Uvh <package> --force".
> >>
> > Thanks Tobin.  I was going to upgrade to the latest kernel to see if
> > the header conflicts would go away.  All of the conflicts seem to be
> > alsa related (surprise, surprise) so should have only positive
> > effect on compiles.  I was concerned about a package update for
> > alsa and what these different files would do.  Should I remove the
> > alsa 14.rc3 packages?
>
> Yes.  I just looked at the audio_install script again, and it
> doesn't upgrade, just forces it's way in (not my script).  I also
> haven't had a chance to work with Fedora Core in a while.
>
> When I get back home on Monday (I'm monitoring email while on a sudo
> vacation), I'll install it in a VM on my desktop system and fix the
> packaging system to recognize that distro.
>
> Tobin

I did it another way.  I went into your source rpm folder and ran
RPM --rebuild alsa*.  This put all of the final RPMs in the system
folder /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386. i.e. the official place.  I then went
into the folder and ran rpm -Uvh --force alsa*.  And the system
upgraded to the new version.  Unfortunately, this didn't work.  I had
to erase, then reinstall the 14.rc3 and remove the kernel and reinstall
it before I got sound back.
I also tried the audit install, but it complained and failed as
well.  I'll keep looking at this, but I'm beginning to think messing
with something as basic as alsa is difficult on a package based system
(at least without a lot of understanding of the packaging mechanism).
And the sound is missing from my app whether I use default or
plughw:0,0 now. The plughw:0,0 seems to setup OK and the app shows that
it continues to send output, it just doesn't sound. Seems like it is
just a small glitch somewhere.  Could be leftovers from the cleaned up
install too.