[alsa-devel] Install of alsa 1.0.14.final on Fedora 7

tdavis at dsl-only.net tdavis at dsl-only.net
Sat Jul 14 17:15:37 CEST 2007

Quoting stan <stanl at cox.net>:

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 00:09:31 -0700
> tdavis at dsl-only.net wrote:
>
>> Quoting stan <stanl at cox.net>:

>> > Hi Tobin,
>> >
>> > I unpacked the archive and typed make.  It created 4 RPMs.
>> > Two of them installed, alsa-lib and alsa-lib-devel.  When I run a
>> > test on the drivers rpm, there are conflicts with the kernel
>> > headers already on the box.  And I have no sound now, except in the
>> > audio configuration screen which is using the 14.rc3 packages.  The
>> > packages are named with rh7 instead of fc7 as well.
>> >
>> > Do I have to run make install to get everything working, or is the
>> > header incompatability in the drivers a show stopper?
>> >

>> > Thanks.
>> >

>> I'll have to look at the rpm build process to see why they are named
>> RH7 instead of FC7.  To install, you should just type "audio_install".
>>
>> If there is a conflict, just type "rpm -Uvh <package> --force".
>>
> Thanks Tobin.  I was going to upgrade to the latest kernel to see if
> the header conflicts would go away.  All of the conflicts seem to be
> alsa related (surprise, surprise) so should have only positive effect
> on compiles.  I was concerned about a package update for alsa and what
> these different files would do.  Should I remove the alsa 14.rc3
> packages?

Yes.  I just looked at the audio_install script again, and it doesn't
upgrade, just forces it's way in (not my script).  I also haven't had
a chance to work with Fedora Core in a while.

When I get back home on Monday (I'm monitoring email while on a sudo
vacation), I'll install it in a VM on my desktop system and fix the
packaging system to recognize that distro.

Tobin