[alsa-devel] Interrupts and kmalloc in alsa modules

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Apr 11 11:51:29 CEST 2007

At Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:11:51 -0700 (PDT),
Ciaccia wrote:

> Hi Lee,
> Thanks a lot for the explanation! Now I understand
> what's wrong with the module, I must remove the buffer
> allocation from the trigger and put it somewhere
> else... You said I should move it in the prepare
> function, this page
> http://www.alsa-project.org/~iwai/writing-an-alsa-driver/x639.htm
> says it should go in the hw_params. What's the best
> place where to put it?

The document recommends hw_params callback because prepare callback
was atomic in the earlier ALSA version while now it's non-atomic,
too.  If it's currently in trigger callback, prepare might be slightly
easier, I guess.

> I did not write the module, so I really don't know why
> all the sample format conversion code is in the
> module... How could I fix/improve it and use the
> sample conversion already available in alsa-lib?

Just drop the whole sample conversion part in the driver and define
only the natively supported format in snd_pcm_hardware.formats field.
Then the rest necessary thing will be done automatically in alsa-lib.

I still didn't see the code at this moment, so just a guess.
I'll review it soon later.

thanks,