[Sound-open-firmware] Distribution of sof firmware and tplg files

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Fri Jan 10 23:37:49 CET 2020

Dne 10. 01. 20 v 18:09 Pierre-Louis Bossart napsal(a):

>> ok, I this should also include the ldc files. I will remove these from
>> linux-firmware.
>>
>> This would mean that:-
>>
>> 1) linux-firmware would just contain versioned firmware binaries. Soft
>> link would link to latest version unless driver quirk or user (via
>> module param) request earlier version.
>
> How would we map an .ldc file to the .ri file in linux-firmware?
>
> the .ldc is generated at the same time as the .ri firmware, they go
> together. Distributing them through separate channels is a recipe for
> invalid traces. Murphy's Second Law is "if you provide people with means
> to break your solution they will"

I'm not really convinced to handle .ldc in the other packages than the
debugging ones. In my opinion, you should maintain the complete SOF binary
firmware distribution in a separate package / tagged repository for all
firmware / topology / .ldc files as the upstream reference and for the
debugging. The ldc files do not belong to linux-firmware nor alsa-ucm-conf nor
alsa-topology-conf.

https://github.com/thesofproject/sof/issues/2098

Also, if you like to release multiple versions of SOF firmware in the
linux-firmware package, it should be properly documented (the purpose, what
exact hardware is affected etc.). It is really difficult to have an
orientation there (and we as the maintainers for various distributions should
know what to do).

BTW: The SST firmware files are also affected with the lack of the
documentation. I believe that only few people can tell us what firmware file
belongs to the specific hardware / driver.

					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>