USB audio cuts 2-3 secs at start

Hector Martin 'marcan' marcan at marcan.st
Mon Aug 10 06:47:30 CEST 2020

On 29/07/2020 02.08, Stuart Naylor wrote:
> http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=6b107178c9939f235a390c07cb5c1f71d6a6e0c0
>
> Its an Anker power conf and for some reason the first couple of seconds of aplay do not play via USB.
>
> Alsa-info above anyone and tips or ideas?

I bet this is just the way the hardware behaves. It probably takes a few
seconds to turn on its amplifiers and audio path when USB streaming starts.

If it doesn't happen in other OSes, then most likely those OSes
continuously stream audio to the device even when it is unused. The
workaround would be to do the same, e.g. use pulseaudio and disable
suspend-on-idle, or use JACK, or something along those lines that always
keeps the device running (with silence when no app is using it).

--
Hector Martin "marcan" (marcan at marcan.st)
Public Key: https://mrcn.st/pub