Lenovo m720s combined audio jack not working (ALC233)

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Tue Aug 4 17:21:07 CEST 2020

On Tue, 2020-08-04 at 09:37 -0500, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

> On 8/4/20 4:56 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > The front audio jack on my newly purchased (but not new) Lenovo
> > m720s
> > doesn't make a microphone output appear in PulseAudio when a
> > headset is
> > plugged in. The headphone part works correctly though. The "sof-
> > hda-dsp
> > Front Headphone" evdev device will switch the state of
> > SW_HEADPHONE_INSERT as expected.
>
> I would first try with the HDaudio legacy driver to separate
> variables.
> This will likely prevent your internal DMICs from working but will
> help
> you test without UCM.
>
> options snd_intel_dspcfg dsp_driver=1
>
> That way you'll be able to see if the jack detection actually works.
>
> If it doesn't, it's a codec configuration/driver issue.
> It it does, it's somehow a PulseAudio/UCM issue. If indeed the
> information is reported as an event then I am leaning to a UCM issue
> with the wrong mixer being used.

What sort of "event" are you talking about? I see events on the input
device that's associated with the jack, though I don't know how that
gets routed inside ALSA.

In any case, the module option seems to bring it back to a working
state. Any hints as to what to do now for the PulseAudio bug report if
I wanted to diagnose and report this is a UCM problem?

Cheers