[alsa-devel] Common Mode Voltage Setting

Annaliese McDermond nh6z at nh6z.net
Tue Mar 26 17:21:50 CET 2019

I have an architectural question regarding some work I’m doing.
We have a product that hooks the Raspberry Pi to various amateur
radio rigs via a sound card interface.  The input characteristics
of those radios vary widely in the amount of signal they need to
drive the proper RF output and such.  One of the setting s I’ve
implemented to try to help our customers control this is changing
the Common Mode voltage on the tlv320.  There are a couple of
options, but the gist is that one will allow higher output levels
without clipping.  We need to keep the flexibility of having the
lower setting because there are some radios that require as little
drive as possible.

My question is really surrounding where the appropriate setting
for this would be.  I could put it in the device tree, but that
requires adding entries, pushing this past the DT folks and it
becomes something that a user has to reboot to change settings
on.  I think it probably more appropriately goes as a mixer
control so that it can be changed on the fly without reboot
and is a dynamic parameter.

I just want to make sure there’s no strong preference here on
the “right way” it should be done or if I’m missing a way to
set this that’s a “none of the above.”

Thanks!

--
Annaliese McDermond