[alsa-devel] Patch Update for OpenFrame Sigmatel STAC9202

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Jul 19 17:02:03 CEST 2019

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 14:25:37 +0200,
Andy Davison wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Would anybody on this list have a little time to investigate this patch and
> bring it up to date for application against the latest 5.1 kernel, or
> indeed anything being actively developed?
>
> https://gist.github.com/andydvsn/c0c159f99bf19d5b30b5e5e156dcac3e
>
> This applies correctly against the 2.6.33 kernel, but I I lack the
> necessary ALSA knowledge and programming skills to make the appropriate
> corrections for anything more recent.
>
> Alternatively, any other advice on where I could seek help with this would
> be much appreciated. It is the only outstanding kernel issue for this
> device and would love to have it fixed.

Oh well, that's a patch against the pretty old code base...

First of all, you need to identify which changes are missing.
Basically your patch does:
- The pin configuration override (openpeak9202_pin_configs[])
- GPIO pin #0 (needs clear?)

Both could be done even without patching the kernel.  I'd start just
setting up the pin configs and adjust GPIO manually via hda-verb to
see what actually it does.

A tricky part is the strange code that is peeking the 0xffbc0100
address.  I don't know exactly what it detects, but some pin configs
are changed according to the value read there.  This can't be
implemented in the upstream code in that way, but we may provide two
different models so that user can simply choose, for example.