[alsa-devel] problem with the driver for ALC3260 sound chip

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Sat Nov 26 09:21:07 CET 2016

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 22:22:59 +0100,
marve wrote:

> On 11/25/2016 06:08 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 21:42:26 +0100,
> > marve wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> Here a rephrase of my issue with TOSLINK SPDIF output of my Dell XPS One
> >> 2710 system running Linux.
> >>

> >> First: I have tried other hardware with my DTS receiver and the receiver
> >> worked fine. Also I have checked the HDMI output of my computer, also
> >> working!
> >>
> >> Second: The SPDIF output worked fine on a Windows 7 installation with
> >> PCM and DTS. I stopped using Windows privately.
> >>
> >> Most success I got with debugging the SPDIF TOSLINK is:
> >> - With the HDA Intel sound cards Jack Retasking tool:
> >>      - Check Showing unconnected pins. Actually, the TOSLINK is
> >> connected but shows "not connected" in the tool.
> >>      - Manually override Pin ID 0x1e
> >>      - Select "SPDIF Out" and "Apply Now"
> > You're sure that this pin is correct?  I mean, did you get *any*
> > signal from the SPDIF I/O by enabling this pin?
> >
>  No signal at all from the SPDIF Toslink port! The reason trying this
> pin is that when overridden, it shows "SPDIF Out".

If so, the pin can be simply wrong.  Usually when a PCM stream starts
and "IEC958 Playback Switch" is on, the signal comes up.

You need to figure out which pin is connected to SPDIF.
(And note that it's not necessarily the Realtek codec that is
 connected to SPDIF, although it's very likely.)

Or, there can be some vendor-specific verb, GPIO, vref or whatever
non-standard control for enabling the SPDIF in addition.

Both above can be figured out only by the h/w owner -- or maybe better
to ask the hardware vendor about it.

Takashi