[alsa-devel] problem with the driver for ALC3260 sound chip

marve marve at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 25 22:22:59 CET 2016

On 11/25/2016 06:08 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 21:42:26 +0100,
> marve wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Here a rephrase of my issue with TOSLINK SPDIF output of my Dell XPS One
>> 2710 system running Linux.
>>

>> First: I have tried other hardware with my DTS receiver and the receiver
>> worked fine. Also I have checked the HDMI output of my computer, also
>> working!
>>
>> Second: The SPDIF output worked fine on a Windows 7 installation with
>> PCM and DTS. I stopped using Windows privately.
>>
>> Most success I got with debugging the SPDIF TOSLINK is:
>> - With the HDA Intel sound cards Jack Retasking tool:
>>      - Check Showing unconnected pins. Actually, the TOSLINK is
>> connected but shows "not connected" in the tool.
>>      - Manually override Pin ID 0x1e
>>      - Select "SPDIF Out" and "Apply Now"
> You're sure that this pin is correct?  I mean, did you get *any*
> signal from the SPDIF I/O by enabling this pin?

 No signal at all from the SPDIF Toslink port! The reason trying this
pin is that when overridden, it shows "SPDIF Out".
>> - Then with PulseAudio Volume Control:
>>     -  In the Configuration Tab, select "Profile: Digital Stereo
>> (IEC958) Output"
>>     -  In the Output Devices "Digital Output (S/PDIF)" appears and is
>> the only option and in the advanced tab PCM, DTS, AC3, MPEG, EAC3, AAC
>> are selected
>>
>>  - I check if in alsamixer tool that the SPDIF channel is unmuted
>>
>> When I play a sound, the vumeter of PulseAudio Volume Control does
>> react, see png attachment (https://postimg.org/image/5tu4rax9t/), but my
>> external DTS receiver doesn't get input!
> First off, you should try the normal audio PCM stream instead of DTS
> or such.  It's possible that the SPDIF status bits aren't properly set
> and the receiver doesn't accept the non-audio signals.
 Ok, I deselected all other streams except PCM, no signal.. (Will do
this in future tests).

> And, as a primary testing, please test with aplay.  You can pass
> -Dspdif or -Dspdif:1 option to transmit over the SPDIF device.
 I was able to run "aplay -Dspdif" without errors. I also checked in
another terminal if the alsamixer showed the s/pdif channels unmuted.
They are unmuted, but I didn't get a signal to my audio receiver.

"aplay -Dspdif:1" didn't work: "Cannot find card".
> Last but not least, check the IEC958 status bits of the assigned PCM.
> You can use iecset program in alsa-utils for checking / setting the
> bits.

iecset -x shows:

AES0=0x05,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x00

Best,