[alsa-devel] working with a Tascam US-122mkII

Christian Quentin christian.quentin at orange.fr
Sat Nov 12 18:46:13 CET 2016

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to use a Tascam US-122mkII sound card with Linux.
I've made the following attempts:

  * with a Debian-Wheezy-based distro (called Tango Studio) which is
    stopped now => I can use the Tascam card
  * with a Debian-Jessie-based distro (called Librazik) which
    development is active => I cannot use the Tascam card

I'm able to use the card with Tango Studio but I would prefer to use the
Librazik as there's a community maintaining it.

  * In Debian Wheezy, the card is identified as US122L
  * In Debian Jessie, the card is identified as US122mkII which looks
    promising but it's not fully functional

These are the steps we went through with the linuxmao.org team :
== checking the kernel version ==
Debian Wheezy
cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.2.0-4-realtime-amd64 (debian-kernel at lists.debian.org)
(gcc version 4.6.3 (Debian 4.6.3-14) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian
3.2.57-3+tstudio.2

Debian Jessie
cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.6.0-1-lzk-bl-amd64 (debian-kernel at lists.debian.org) (gcc
version 4.9.2 (Debian 4.9.2-10) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 4.6.2-2librazik1
(2016-06-29)

== checking the sound card detected ==

Debian Wheezy
cat /proc/asound/cards
0 SB <http://linuxmao.org/SB>: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xfebfc000 irq 17
1 US122L <http://linuxmao.org/US122L>: USB US-122L - TASCAM US-122L
TASCAM US-122L (644:8021 if 0 at 001/002)

Debian Jessie :
cat /proc/asound/cards
0 SB <http://linuxmao.org/SB>: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xfebfc000 irq 17
1 MKII <http://linuxmao.org/MKII>: USB-Audio - US122 MKII
TASCAM US122 MKII at usb-0000:00:13.5-1, high speed

== creating a ~/.asoundrc file ==

I was instructed to create an .asoundrc file

 1. got from http://www.nabble.com/tascam-us122l-and-ccrma-td24036395.html
 2. thanks to Karsten

 1. The usb_stream plugin configuration

pcm.!usb_stream {
@args CARD <http://linuxmao.org/CARD>
@args.CARD {
type string
default "0"
}

type usb_stream

card $CARD
}

ctl.!usb_stream {
@args CARD <http://linuxmao.org/CARD>
@args.CARD {
type string
default "0"
}

type hw

card $CARD
}

== starting Jack server ==
I'm using QjackCtl to start the Jack server with the following parameters:

Debian Wheezy
QjackCtl -> Settings -> Parameters -> "Interface" : usb_stream:1
=> Jack server starts OK

Debian Jessie
QjackCtl -> Settings -> Parameters -> "Interface" : usb_stream:1
=> Jack server does not start
I've tried to remove the .asoundrc : Jack server does not start either

Debian Jessie
QjackCtl -> Settings -> Parameters -> "Interface" : hw:MKII US122 MKII
(hw:1)
(this value is already in the drop-down list of interfaces
=> Jack server starts with the following message :

hw:MKII|hw:MKII|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for capture. Falling back to
playback-only mode

The result is I can use the sound card to play sounds but cannot get any
input from it (I'm trying to get MIDI events)

The linuxmao.org team thinks there might be a change in the ALSA driver
in the latest releases.
What do you think?

Thanks for your help

Christian