[alsa-devel] [question] Sample rate IC followed by DAC

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Fri Nov 4 12:31:10 CET 2016

Matt Flax wrote:
> I have a sample rate converter IC, which is followed by a DAC. This kind of setup :
>
> SoC chip -> Sample rate conv. chip -> DAC chip

What is the purpose of the converter?  What problem does it solve?

> How do you construct a machine driver for this setup ?

The original DAC driver will not work correctly, as far as sample rate
settings are concerned.

> Unfortunately the silicon only supports an older 3.14 kernel.

You mean, you paid for _no support_?  And now are asking here instead?
(Not that a newer kernel version would help ...)

Well, if your goal isn't a proper driver for upstream, just hack the
existing DAC driver to access the other I²C device, when needed.

Regards,
Clemens