[alsa-devel] searching volunteer to test Hoontech DSP24 to check if the driver is realy working well

Yvan Masson funyvan at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 12 17:22:07 CET 2014

Hi Alan,

Thanks for answer.
Le dimanche 05 janvier 2014 à 20:39 +0000, Alan Horstmann a écrit :
> Hi Yvan,
>
> On Sunday 05 January 2014 19:16, YvanM wrote:
> > First please apologize if I'm in the wrong place.
>
> It is probably the best place.
>
> > I have a Hoontech DSP24
> > (http://fr.audiofanzine.com/carte-son-rack/hoontech/DSP24-+-ADDA2000-DSP200
> >0-C-Port/), but I had problem to make it working.
>
> Are you talking here about the PCI card, 8-channel audio unit, not the ADAT
> cards?  What problems are you having?

Yes I'm talking about the rack and the PCI card shown here :
http://img.audiofanzine.com/image.php?lang=fr&identifier=id&size=normal&module=product&product_id=486
I did not use the numeric outputs on the secondary card.

The problems I had are the ones described below.

> I have one of the audio card/rack pairs, which has been working fine with Alsa
> since years ago (not actually used recently).  In particular I have recorded
> live 8-channels from a mixing desk, and later played back all 8 to analogue
> mix-down.  I think the PC ran an updated Alsa-1.0.12 with a 2.4 linux kernel.
> I was involved in a patch fixing the MIDI several years ago and there were
> other users then, including a studio in Australia.  Maybe it broke more
> recently (all my systems are quite old)?
>
> >I don't use it so, if
> > someone with knowledge wants to check if this soundcard is really
> > recognized, I can send it to him. After that, feel free to play with it,
> > improve the driver, or even sell it !
> >
> > The problem I had :
> >   - spent 3 months to find on the Internet the following lines to had to
> > /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base to make the card recognized :
> >  stall snd-ice1712 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ice1712 && {
> > /sbin/modprobe -Qb snd-ice1712 ; }
> > options snd-ice1712 model=dsp24
> >   - impossible to have "normal" stereo : it seems that each logical canal
> > (right and left) is redirected to both right and left speaker.
>
> I've never done anything like that.  Is your system running Pulseaudio?  Which
> distro/kernel are you using?
I tried several distributions, mostly based on Debian : Debian stable,
Ubuntu Studio 12.4 and 12.10, 64 Studio. I'm not sure but I think I also
tried Fedora.
So if I'm not wrong, these distributions all use Pulseaudio.

Regards,
Yvan