[alsa-devel] searching volunteer to test Hoontech DSP24 to check if the driver is realy working well

Alan Horstmann gineera at aspect135.co.uk
Sun Jan 5 21:39:59 CET 2014

Hi Yvan,

On Sunday 05 January 2014 19:16, YvanM wrote:
> First please apologize if I'm in the wrong place.

It is probably the best place.

> I have a Hoontech DSP24
> (http://fr.audiofanzine.com/carte-son-rack/hoontech/DSP24-+-ADDA2000-DSP200
>0-C-Port/), but I had problem to make it working.

Are you talking here about the PCI card, 8-channel audio unit, not the ADAT
cards?  What problems are you having?

I have one of the audio card/rack pairs, which has been working fine with Alsa
since years ago (not actually used recently).  In particular I have recorded
live 8-channels from a mixing desk, and later played back all 8 to analogue
mix-down.  I think the PC ran an updated Alsa-1.0.12 with a 2.4 linux kernel.
I was involved in a patch fixing the MIDI several years ago and there were
other users then, including a studio in Australia.  Maybe it broke more
recently (all my systems are quite old)?

>I don't use it so, if
> someone with knowledge wants to check if this soundcard is really
> recognized, I can send it to him. After that, feel free to play with it,
> improve the driver, or even sell it !
>
> The problem I had :
>   - spent 3 months to find on the Internet the following lines to had to
> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base to make the card recognized :
>  stall snd-ice1712 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ice1712 && {
> /sbin/modprobe -Qb snd-ice1712 ; }
> options snd-ice1712 model=dsp24
>   - impossible to have "normal" stereo : it seems that each logical canal
> (right and left) is redirected to both right and left speaker.

I've never done anything like that.  Is your system running Pulseaudio?  Which
distro/kernel are you using?

Others on this list may have more idea of the issues?

Regards

Alan