[alsa-devel] [RFC] ALSA: add new alsa control byte extended

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Fri Nov 29 11:10:43 CET 2013

Date 29.11.2013 10:48, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Fri, 29 Nov 2013 10:40:51 +0100,
> Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
>>
>> Date 29.11.2013 10:08, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> But it means that we have to extend / fix allover places using the
>>> control elements.  And the variable size isn't handled there, so far.
>>> It's the biggest concern.
>>>
>>> For example, how would you read such a control element?  Currently,
>>> all the control element values have the same static size, so the data
>>> is just there to read.  OTOH, if you read data with an unknown size,
>>> you have to query the size at first, allocate the buffer, then read
>>> the data.  It's a completely different flow.

>>> Well, it's basically a kind of abuse of control elements, IMO...
>>
>> I basically agree, but... I believe that these chunks can be divided to
>> the 512 limit using continuous indexes (kcontrol->count) and a simple
>> rule in the driver "write all to a DSP when the last control (index) is
>> touched" may be enough. No API extensions are required. The question is:
>> Do you rellay need 100+KB for coefficients? Do you expect to handle
>> these data in standard tools like alsactl?
>
> Yeah, I suggested a similar workaround when the issue came up ago
> (IIRC, it was about WM codecs).  But it's certainly ugly, indeed.

I wouldn't mark it as ugly, because the overhead is small in this
solution (except the allocated space for the whole message in the hw
driver). But if these large data are static and they are not expected to
be saved (alsactl), the control API may be extended using a new ioctl or
the hwdep interface with some custom tools may be used.

					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer