[alsa-devel] Problem setting mixer switch with amixer/alsactl.

Oliver Ford ipaqlinux at oliford.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 16:07:25 CEST 2008

Mark Brown wrote:
> OK, thanks.  I've had a brief look at this here but so far as I can tell
> I'm not able to see these problems on my system.  I am using a
> completely different machine, though, with different hardware and I
> haven't checked through your configuration in detail.  I'll have a more
> detailed look early next week.

Ok, thanks. I'll keep poking around and see if I can find anything.
>> No unusual dmesg output, the apps think nothing is wrong.
>> It seems that just the offending control (or the actual DACL/R -> SPKMIX
>> mixer channel) stops working. I can still get audio through the
>>

> but only via amixer, yes?

Yes, It only stops working when the mixer switch is changed with amixer.
> One other thing that would be useful would be to put trace which logs
> the register writes in ac97_write() in the driver and then try testing
> both using alsamixer and then amixer to do the final enable of the
> Speaker Mixer PCM Playback Switch.

I already have the register writes outputted, I'll compare the logs tonight.

>> 		name 'Speaker Playback Volume'
>> 		value 1
>> 	}
>>

> That's rather low...

Yes it is, well spotted, I look at that tonight as well.

Thanks for the help,

Oliver