[alsa-devel] Solved! Tnx Clemens! Re: why would an scontrol think that it should have 2 items instead of just 1?

John L. Utz III john.utz at dmx.com
Fri Aug 10 19:46:46 CEST 2007

Hi Clemens!

Tnx for the question!

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 09:33:48 +0200
"Clemens Ladisch" <cladisch at fastmail.net> wrote:

> John L. Utz III wrote:
> > The VT1618 codec has a register value that turns on the Surround
> > Side Output (it's off by default)
> >
> > I have implemented the control, but I am getting a really weird
> > result, i have a bogus 'Item1' that shouldnt exist:
> >
> > jutz-gntdv alsa-driver # amixer sset Side On
> > Simple mixer control 'Side',0
> >   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch enum
> >   Items: 'On' 'Off'
> >   Item0: 'On'
> >   Item1: 'On'
> > jutz-gntdv alsa-driver # amixer sset Side Off
> > Simple mixer control 'Side',0
> >   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch enum
> >   Items: 'On' 'Off'
> >   Item0: 'Off'
> >   Item1: 'On'
>
> How does this control look like in the output of "amixer controls"?

This is an *excellent* question because the results of looking are damn
odd! :

jutz-gntdv alsa-driver # amixer controls | grep Side
numid=10,iface=MIXER,name='Jack Side'
numid=9,iface=MIXER,name='Side'
numid=4,iface=MIXER,name='Side Playback Switch'
numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='Side Playback Volume'

I think that my 'Side' enable twiddler was colliding with my 'Side'
Volume and Switch twiddlers, because once i changed 'Side' to 'Side
Enable' the problem went away:

jutz-gntdv alsa-driver # amixer sget Side\ Enable
Simple mixer control 'Side Enable',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'On' 'Off'
  Item0: 'Off'