[Sound-open-firmware] Real hardware (boards) on which the SOF runs

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Tue Jan 31 16:18:42 CET 2023

On 1/31/23 04:26, Gerion Entrup wrote:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> Am Montag, 30. Januar 2023, 15:55:47 CET schrieb Pierre-Louis Bossart:
>> Hi Gerion,
>>
>> Zephyr support is still very new, if you want to start using it now it
>> has to be clear that you'll have to follow the bleeding edge firmware
>> development on TigerLake+ devices. All previous platforms will not have
>> Zephyr support and have been parked on a long-term XTOS-based support
>> branch.
> That is good to know.
>

>> The only Intel-based devices you can use for you own development are the
>> Up Extreme i11 boards or TigerLake+ Chromebooks in developer mode. These
>> two sets of devices use the community key and have the DSP configured.
> The Extreme i11 boards look promising.
> Regarding the Chrombooks: I'm not familiar with these devices. Is it
> possible to use them as a "server"? So reboot and connect to them over SSH
> while the developer mode stays active?

yes, the 'developer mode' is something that you can set once and it can
remain on over reboot cycles. It's not that straightforward but it's not
the end of the world either.

see here two examples of Chromebooks used for SOF CI with a Ubuntu setup
and kernel/firmware updated for tests run over SSH.

https://sof-ci.01.org/linuxpr/PR4163/build2911/devicetest/index.html?model=CML_HEL_RT5682&testcase=verify-kernel-boot-log

https://sof-ci.01.org/linuxpr/PR4163/build2911/devicetest/index.html?model=GLK_BOB_DA7219&testcase=verify-kernel-boot-log

Note that our default test setup relies on a minimal kernel
configuration based on 'make defconfig' + scripts to add what we need,
see
https://github.com/thesofproject/kconfig/blob/master/kconfig-sof-default.sh

This may need to be improved with your own configurations depending on
what you want to test.

Hope this helps.

-Pierre