[Sound-open-firmware] Real hardware (boards) on which the SOF runs

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at intel.com
Mon Jan 30 15:55:47 CET 2023

Hi Gerion,

Zephyr support is still very new, if you want to start using it now it
has to be clear that you'll have to follow the bleeding edge firmware
development on TigerLake+ devices. All previous platforms will not have
Zephyr support and have been parked on a long-term XTOS-based support
branch.

The only Intel-based devices you can use for you own development are the
Up Extreme i11 boards or TigerLake+ Chromebooks in developer mode. These
two sets of devices use the community key and have the DSP configured.

If you want to get access to the Cadence Tensilica compiler, things get
complicated as well. Usually this requires an NDA. That means you may
need to use GCC with a lower performance to be expected since HiFi3
instructions are not supported by GCC just yet.

We should add this information in the 'Getting started' documentation.

Hope this helps,

-Pierre