[Sound-open-firmware] Using the Qemu DSP emulator

Liam Girdwood liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com
Fri Jan 26 17:24:53 CET 2018

On Fri, 2018-01-26 at 17:54 +0200, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> Hi Liam,
>
> Thanks a lot for your answer. Still one question inline:
>
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 4:07 PM, Liam Girdwood
> <liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2018-01-26 at 15:42 +0200, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm following the instruction on SOF wiki page on how to use the
> > > emulator [1]
> > > and both VM0 and VM1 are up, anyhow SOF DSP device isn't probed.
> > >
> > > How do you do it in your qemu setup?
> >
> > So for host VM I usually install my favourite distro on a disk image
> > and boot this image (including kernel) directly using the x86-host.sh
> > scripts. There are quite a lot of tools that can help create this
> > image, but it's bog standard Linux VM image with your custom kernel.
> >
> > Btw, the kernel can be updated on this image using the normal methods
> > within the VM.
>

> So, I think I have setup everything correct (btw I use SOF modules
> builtin in the kernel image, because I find it easier).

I recommend modules as the drivers need a mounted FS to load firmware
and topologies. built-in can result in some races between driver and FS
being ready....

> Anyhow, I expect that the function sof_probe from sound/soc/sof/core.c
> to be called but it isn't :).
>
> Any idea why?

I assume the ACPI device is registered ? Pls check sysfs and make sure
the device ID is listed with the other ACPI devices and returns status
15.

Also pls check that the older SST drivers have not been loaded by
default. If so, they can be blacklisted atm :-

cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-dsp.conf
blacklist snd_soc_sst_acpi
blacklist snd_soc_sst_dsp
blacklist snd_soc_sst_firmware
blacklist snd_soc_sst_ipc
blacklist snd_soc_sst_match
blacklist snd_soc_sst_mfld-platform
blacklist snd_soc_skl
blacklist snd_hda_intel
blacklist snd_soc_sst_byt_cht_nocodec
blacklist snd_soc_sst_atom_hifi2_platform
blacklist snd_intel_sst_core
blacklist snd_intel_sst_acpi

> Now, this function should be called as a result of a platform device
> named "sof-audio" being somehow registered.

You may want to attach the relevant part of your dmesg showing
ASoC/ALSA probing.

Liam