[Sound-open-firmware] Using the Qemu DSP emulator

Daniel Baluta daniel.baluta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 16:54:26 CET 2018

Hi Liam,

Thanks a lot for your answer. Still one question inline:

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 4:07 PM, Liam Girdwood
<liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-01-26 at 15:42 +0200, Daniel Baluta wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm following the instruction on SOF wiki page on how to use the
>> emulator [1]
>> and both VM0 and VM1 are up, anyhow SOF DSP device isn't probed.
>>
>> How do you do it in your qemu setup?
>
> So for host VM I usually install my favourite distro on a disk image
> and boot this image (including kernel) directly using the x86-host.sh
> scripts. There are quite a lot of tools that can help create this
> image, but it's bog standard Linux VM image with your custom kernel.
>
> Btw, the kernel can be updated on this image using the normal methods
> within the VM.

So, I think I have setup everything correct (btw I use SOF modules
builtin in the kernel image, because I find it easier).

Anyhow, I expect that the function sof_probe from sound/soc/sof/core.c
to be called but it isn't :).

Any idea why?

Now, this function should be called as a result of a platform device
named "sof-audio" being somehow registered.

thanks,
Daniel.