[alsa-devel] sound/usb kernel modules as a DKMS package.

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Sep 2 14:09:56 CEST 2019

Hi all,

I (We... this is kind of my 9-5 job) have been having some reliability issue with a Focusrite Scarlett Gen 2 18i20, and I was almost tempted to start looking at the windows driver, when I came upon Geoffrey's work. So I made the bleeding-edge sound/usb modules (for the 5.4 time frame) from Takashi's tree built as dkms modules against main line 5.2 . I hope this is useful for other people using USB sound devices.

https://github.com/HinTak/sound-usb-dkms

This make it easier  / faster to try out new code, without building the whole kernel.

I would appreciate tips and tricks about the Scarlett 18i20, as well as general recommendation for new professional gear of the same sort to buy.

Incidentally, Tobias Hoffmann (who wrote the first gen driver about 5 years ago) was my GSoC student working on printer-related matters more than a decade ago; I did some wifi/USB related work in the kernel (am listed in linux/MAINTAINERS) so you can assume that I am relatively happy with driver-related matters.

Cheers,
Hin-Tak