[alsa-devel] 'modern dailink' transition

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Fri Apr 5 14:53:11 CEST 2019

Hi Morimoto-san,
> I want to ask you about "Multi CPU" support.
> When you can post it ?
> I'm asking because I'm waiting it for a long term,
> and "switch to modern style" is based on it.
> But, v3 is not yet posted, right ?

the multi-cpu part is required for SoundWire, but the directions taken
to support multi-cpu are changing due to additional developments in the
MIPI Software WG (contributors only at this point). So the plan for now
is to develop with single cpu-dai first, and add multi-cpu support at a
later stage.

In other words, the multi-cpu/multi-link part isn't the most urgent
priority and it shouldn't impact your work.

> If you can post it soon, I can keep waiting.
> But, if it will takes more long term, can I suggest ?
> I think there is few conflict around soc.h and soc-core.c
> between this suggestion and your patch, but not super much.
>
> 	1. I will post "modern style CPU" support,
> 	   it is still "single CPU"
> 	2. All sound card switch to "modern style"
> 	3. remove "legacy style"
>
> I think, your "Multi CPU" support can be implemented
> on top of it.

yes that's fine, this plan works fine for me.

> And, I can continue, like this
>
> 	4. post "allow no Platfrom"
> 	5. remove "snd-soc-dummy Platfrom",
> 	   and "CPU = Platfrom" code from Intel card
> 	   as trial. If it was OK, continue for all card.

there are only 2 or 3 cases of this snd-soc-dummy platform and I'll try
to remove it as part of the first batch. I don't think it's necessary at
all.

Thanks!

-Pierre