[alsa-devel] Audio miniconference schedule

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Oct 16 23:16:17 CEST 2018

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 22:48:52 +0200,
Mark Brown wrote:

> As previously announced there's an audio miniconference happening on the
> 21st in Edinburgh, meeting around 9am and getting started once enough
> people have arrived (Cirrus people, please let me know if we need to
> start later, some people have said they'll be arriving late so we won't
> wait for everyone):
>
>    https://blog.sirena.org.uk/2018/09/19/2018-linux-audio-miniconfernce
>
> (yes there is a typo in the URL).  A number of people have proposed
> topics so I just went through them and pulled them into a proposed
> agenda, this time revised following feedback last time:
>
>   - Virtualization (Liam)
>   - AVB (Liam)
>   - SoundWire (Liam)
>   - GObject introspection for language bindings (Sakamoto-san)
>   - Integrating the ALSA control core (Sakamoto-san)
>   - DSPs (Liam)
>    - Sound Open Firmware (Liam)
>    - Byte controls (Vinod/Patrick)
>    - Calibration loading (Patrick)
>    - Exposing graph at runtime (Patrick)
>    - Batching commands (Patrick)
>   - AGL (Stephane/Ronan)
>
> I've dropped Y2038 from the expliit schedule, since Arnd Bergmann (who's
> been driving a lot of the general Y2038 work) will be in Edinburgh and
> may be free to join I'm suggesting that if he's free we cover that
> either first thing or just after lunch and otherwise Takashi and I will
> try to coordinate with him during ELC-E (unless others have a great
> enthusiasm for the subject).

I haven't registered ELCE this year but only the audio mini-conf and
maintainers summit, but maybe we can catch him on Monday.

> What do people think?  Any other topics?  There's still time to sign up
> if you're interested in attending, you can sign up right up to the day
> of the event though registering early would help a lot with logistics.

Sorry for the late action, here are some items that came to my mind:

- Possible PCM improvements:
  We still miss some information like the granularity.  Although we
  had some discussions in the past, it didn't happen in the end.
  It's a good chance to revive the ideas.

  Also, PCM timestamping is another relevant topic.  It's still rarely
  used, so far.  Can we make a broader usage?

- ASoC / ALSA core merges:
  Would it make sense to move some core stuff out of ASoC?
  e.g. DPCM isn't strictly ASoC-specific things.
  Also, it'd be great if we can foresee the plan for ASoC core
  refactoring that is currently going on.

- Testing:
  My pet peeve.  I'd love to see some stuff, especially for ASoC, that
  can run on VM, and let fuzzers whipping on it.
  Also, USB audio can be virtualized.  What else?  (not only about VM
  testing but also a real hardware testing.)

- Community governance, maintenance issues:
  It's a hot topic in kernel, yeah.  Do we see any issues in audio?

thanks,