[alsa-devel] GitHub - alsa-project - repositories

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Tue Nov 6 10:20:53 CET 2018

Dne 6.11.2018 v 01:49 Takashi Sakamoto napsal(a):
> Hi Jaroslav,
>
> On 2018/11/05 17:49, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
>> Hi all,

>>    I finally finished the first phase of the integration with GitHub. All
>> repositories are now on GitHub and all repositories are mirrored to
>> alsa-project.org. The github repositories are master (developers should
>> push changes only to those repositories). If you refer the repository as
>> the code source (for packaging or so), please, keep to use the
>> repositories on alsa-project.org (in case when we migrate to other
>> service in future like GitLab or so). The mirroring is realtime, so the
>> changes should be visible on git.alsa-project.org in few seconds after
>> the push.
>>
>>    I invited few people to the GitHub team and actually Takashi has full
>> access to all repos, Vinod Koul should have the write access to
>> tinycompress and Takashi Sakamoto should have the write access to
>> alsa-gi. If I omitted someone (or someone is not on github), please, let
>> me know (and register before).
>>
>>    Because github adds possibility for the pull requests and issue
>> tracking, I added notifications for them to this (alsa-devel) mailing
>> list. The short notification should be sent when an pull request or an
>> issue is opened or changed. I think that it would be best to handle this
>> per request, so the developer can ask to resend the patch to the mailing
>> list for the wider review or just push the change with the signing.
>>
>>    I activated Travis CI for alsa-lib and alsa-utils and I will add other
>> repos soon, too. URL: https://travis-ci.org/alsa-project
>>
>>    If you have some ideas which other github applications can be used to
>> improve the code maintenance, let me know. I will probably play with the
>> coverity checker (http://scan.coverity.com), too.
>
> Thanks for your arrangement. This is what I wish for a long time ;)
> (however, I apologize my laziness forward to it...)
>
> Just now I sent my PR to alsa-utils[1], and a notification is sent[2]. A
> job of Travis-CI runs automatically on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (probably in a
> docker container)[3]. In the job, alsa-lib was firstly built, then
> alsa-utils was built, as described in '.travis.yaml'. It takes a bit
> time to download tex-related packages from us mirror of repository
> (http://us-east-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com/). A few minutes later,
> check icon becomes green on github.com.
>
> I have two concerns.
>
> 1. For Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (trusty), End-of-life (EOL) is scheduled April
> 2019. A few months remained but it's better to use recent LTSs such as
> 18.04 (bionic) to reduce future maintenance cost. (I guess packages
> except on 'main' pocket are not already maintained for security
> updates.)

I think that we have limited choices:

https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/reference/overview/

> 2. Message for PR
> In my opinion, notification to alsa-devel list is an alternative of
> cover-letters in the past. But in this time it doesn't includes change
> summary, like:
>
> ```
> Takashi Sakamoto (3):
>    aplay: delete paragraph for obsoleted '--sleep-min' ('-s') option from
>      aplay manual
>    aplay: add a paragraph for '--samples' ('-s') option to aplay manual
>    aplay: improve available conditions for '--samples' and '--duration'
>      options
>
>   aplay/aplay.1 | 10 +++++++---
>   1 file changed, 7 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
> ```
>
> If it's difficult to include the change summary automatically into the
> notification, it's worth to discuss that PR senders should include it
> handy to PR message.

Actually, I can work directly only with the information from the webhooks:

https://developer.github.com/v3/activity/events/types/#pullrequestevent

The webhook code used on my server is in python, so we can probably
fetch the patch from github and generate the diffstat from it.

					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>