[alsa-devel] gitcompile fail

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Sun Jan 8 19:42:16 CET 2017

Hi,

On Jan 9 2017 00:19, Mark Brand wrote:
> I now enable my new module for compilation by make menuconfig in the
> source tree root.  This adds the line CONFIG_SND_MQ8PORTSE=m to .config
> in that folder.

When working with out-of-tree sources, no need to care of .config and
Kconfig on the tree, because built-tree already includes relevant
information about it. In your case,
'/usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.0-57-lowlatency/' is the built-tree,
including enough stuffs for module building.

So what you need is to give CONFIG_SND_MQ8PORTSE=m to Make environment
of the built-tree. Let's try:

$ CONFIG_SND_MQ8PORTSE=m make -C /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build M=$(pwd)
snd-mq8portse.ko

Kernel build system, called Kbuild, is enough complicated to me. So I
cannot explain about the overall. Documentation in
'Documentation/kbuild/kbuild.txt'[0] and
'Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt'[1] will help you for more detail and
good entry points into kernel world.

[0]
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/kbuild/kbuild.txt
[1]